Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sat Feb 5 Oceanside Pier Swim

Late afternoon about 4:30 PM I got in on the south side of the pier and swam around and got out on the north side. The day and water were quite exquisite-really beautiful. Almost no swimmers in the water-as the temp is 57, but maybe a dozen surfers surfing the well-shaped small waves (about 2 feet).
The water outside was glassy with no current except out at the end of the pier. I was starting to go around the pier and kept noticing that I was staying in the same place. I threw in a couple of hundred stronger, faster strokes and got around the pier and headed back in. It took me longer to get in than head out, or so it seemed. Sadly, it is on gorgeous swim days like this when I am faced with the reality that I am just not a very good swimmer. When I don't wear fins, as today, I just don't seem to be able to propel my fat body forward quickly. I had my webbed gloves and wet suit on today. One of these days I'll do a swim without the gloves and without the fins and see how I fare.
But, at 53, with a surgically fused cervical spine, I'll keep plugging along. The last two days were actually pain free for me. So that's a big plus. No pictures today. Forgot the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment