Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tues Feb 14 Oceanside Pier

There were a few dozen surfers spread along the south side of the pier this afternoon after work. The waves were smallish-up to 3 feet, but a good shape and I observed not a few good rides by excellent surfers.
I expected the current to be pulling south so I wore my complete getup: fins, webbed gloves, 2 swim caps, goggles, rash guard, bathing suit, and my thin, 1 millimeter wetsuit.
Turned out the water was cold but minimal current; also quite flat past the surf zone. I did my swim thing around the pier and headed home shortly thereafter. I was pleased to see 2 police cars in the parking lot at the pier south side and 2 more police cars up a few blocks from the water on Mission Ave.
Last week there was a gang or thug stabbing at the beach near the pier and a couple of days ago a dead body was found up the creek from the ocean about a mile, resting dead for a few days, the news said.
So, Oceanside is being Oceanside again. The police presence is on and off over time. We need more on times to keep the peace.
So I need to rinse my wetsuit and hang it up. We are expecting rain for the next few days so swimming won't be a good idea with bacterial runoff from the creeks into the ocean. Good night for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment