Friday, May 20, 2011

CAMP PENDLETON: Missing swimmer feared drowned

A terrible story of a Navy man swimming on base with his buddy and was apparently pulled out to sea and drowned. See link below.
I swim at this beach often and was swimming there Monday about 4:30 or 5:00 PM with a swim buddy. The water was a very choppy 3 foot mess with a strong southward current. We swam out and around the buoy. The incident link below occurred Thursday, and I believe the conditions were the same or worse.
I just went there today after work to swim and had just started swimming out when the lifeguards called me back in and told me the beach was closed. The search is ongoing now, and helicopters and boats were out in the area near and far in the distance. The water was very rough today-big waves, 4-5 feet, and a very strong current running northward-such the opposite current from this past Monday. Strange how the ocean changes so rapidly and so dramatically.
My thoughts are with the family and swim buddy.

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/military/article_e3a75bab-c5c8-53f7-bb26-85a3c847dd50.html

No comments:

Post a Comment