Sunday, June 12, 2011

Saturday Afternoon Ocean Swim Oceanside Pier
























I had a great swim Saturday around the pier. The water was as clean as I have seen it in recent memory. It still retains that geen/aqua tint with the light blue that is so appealing to the beachgoer. The visibility was about eight feet, which sounds unimpressive per se, but around here is unusual and welcome to the swim-goggle wearer. It's nice to be able to see the bottom for a bit as one swims out.

As I parked above the strand, I was putting coins into the meter and a young couple just in front of my car was doing the same. They asked me if I had any extra change for a dollar, which I did; I always bring at least three dollars in quarters and extra coins in a little bottle in my car. I gave them four quarters for the buck, and then the gentleman told me that they were visiting from Canada on business and gave me a Canadian coin. This was very exciting for me, as I am usually the one giving money to people asking for it. The coin, he said, was a Canadian two dollar piece, called a Toonie, and it was considered to be good luck. It is a beautiful coin, about the size of our dollar coin, but is has two colors. It has a gold center and a silver outer perimeter. Look it up on Google; it is a neat coin. I will save it and use it for any good luck it may bring.

I took a quick walk to take pictures and observe the water. Then I wore my rash guard t-shirt and shorts with swim trunks. I recently downgraded from extra large trunks to large, although the large are a bit snug. So, some progress there. I wore two swim caps. Now I'm wearing two because I ripped my old one a week or two ago as I was putting it on in the water. In chilly water, about 58 degrees yesterday, the cap helps. So now I'll have a spare on my head if I rip another one.

The water was flat and great for a comforting swim. Inside, there were beautiful waves, well-shaped with long intervals between waves. Outside past the breakers was a gentle, mild swell or roll to the ocean that didn't detract from the flat surface for swimming. Really gorgeous out there. I felt good and did a round-trip, i.e., I swam around the pier and then swam back to where I had started. I got tired swimming back out on my round-trip, as the tide was coming in noticeably. Then my energy was low for the rest of the swim but I finished ok. When I was out off the end of the pier (I swim about eighty yards or so past the end) I had to keep an eye out for the jet skiers and the speedboats zipping by. As one swims far out there and boats or jet skies are near-not necessarily even that near, about 200 yards, one hears a whine or jet engine-like sound, almost a whistling sound. That's when I start picking my head up and looking around for safety. Since it's an oddity to see a lone swimmer, there is a tendency for the boats and especially the jet skiers to come closer to see what is that in the water. Often it is a lifeguard just checking for safety, which is nice.

My left calf cramped as I came in through the breakers upon finishing my swim but I caught a good wave and body-surfed it for a longer-than-usual ride. A really great beach swim day!

Oh, I forgot to mention the surfers. They were only about 18 surfers on both sides of the pier and conditions were great! They had plenty of room for all to find nice rides. I wondered where the heck all the surfers were on such a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment