Monday, July 4, 2011

July 4th Oceanside Pier Swim Thanks to the Oceanside Police Department for Their Courteous Work Maintaining a Comfortable Beach Atmosphere

OK now. The water was TOO WARM today! Really. It must have been 70 degrees. I parked my customary five blocks away from the water when it is busy (no parking meters). At the corner of Surfrider and Cleveland there was a party and band playing for a house party and also for the benefit of passersby. They were very good and I enjoyed it. They were a mix of Rolling Stones, Allman Brothers, Leonard Skynrd, and similar music. Close to the beach there was a large police presence (I love it) keeping cars away from the water strand street. They were even stopping bicyclists which I don't mind at all. The bicyclists fly through the strand and scare the crap out of me at times. Thanks to the Oceanside Police Department for their presence and courteous, hard work maintaining order and reason on the 4th.
Now, for the water. Too warm as I said. Dirtier than yesterday. Stirred up with more kelp leaves and bits of kelp floating around, along with smaller dirt particles in the water. Visibility was down to about 4-5 feet. The waves were tiny-2 feet. It was flat out there and I had a slow, relaxing swim with my fins. I did a double-around the pier and back. I didn't have good energy because yesterday tuckered me out. Fortunately, I didn't have to face a strong current this evening-there was hardly a current at all out past the pier. I'm tired now at home and will relax and listen to the fireworks going off in the neighborhood. Happy 4th of July! Thanks to our troops in harm's way and my deepest, heartfelt respect for the excellent work they do!













No comments:

Post a Comment