Sunday, August 28, 2011

Glassy Water Saturday Afternoon










My last picture shows the larger waves on the south side of the pier.  There were good waves 3-4 feet on the south side and swimming in was beautiful.  There was a gentle, flat, but very noticeable swell of a good three feet that I saw from the outside past the breakers looking in.  I love the way that the ocean on such a day moves with one wavelike motion up and down before the wave forms and breaks. 
When I went in on the north side-about two hundred yards north of the pier, the inside mild rip current was flowing gently north like a river.  Just past the small waves-about 2 feet-I hit a great glassy ocean surface like a swimming pool, only bigger and mine alone.  I had a 37 minute swim with no current, nothing bothering me, no jet skies, no boats, etcetera.  Just my side glimpses of a partly-cloudy sky and the sun as I swam along.  Theere was a big crowd on the pier and I was all that there was to see for them-one slow swimmer not in a hurry to go anywhere.  Afterward, I jogged back along the beach to where I began.  A nice swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment