Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rough Water Swim Oceanside Pier-Strong Current Tuesday

Well I forgot my camera but the appearance of the beach was the same as yesterday.  I swam out and the water had a good choppiness to it-one to two feet.  It was another slugfest with the water.  It's interesting when you lift your arm up and reach forward and the wave covers up your arm as you start your forward reach.  That was happening repeatedly yesterday.  When I got out to the end of the pier distance from the beach, and I was angling from about 150 yards south of the pier aiming for the end of the pier, I was at the same spot as I started out from the sand.  I was going against the current out there and it was pretty strong.  The current was running from north to south. 
I swam for about fifteen minutes to try to approach the end of the pier and it finally sunk in that I was not going anywhere.  I was thinking about turning around and heading in but kept going...and going.
Bit by bit I got a little closer to the pier and it was a good workout.  Even after I got around the end of the pier it was difficult swimming in.  Just a rough water swim all around on Tuesday.  Until you are in it you just cannot appreciate the power of the water.  Thankfully the surf zone was pretty calm and I didn't have to fight the surf.  Overall, it was a good training swim but I wish that I had gone the other direction (north to south). 

No comments:

Post a Comment