Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Two Swimmers in the Ocean at the Oceanside Pier







As I was swimming in on the south side of the pier, I was told that another swimmer was heading out on the south side and we passed each other.  I didn't notice him.  I like to swim farther south of the surfers.  Yesterday I hit a strong current head-on and I did not want a repeat today.  I checked in with the lifeguard and he recommended swimming from north to south, which I did.  He was correct.
The water conditions were drastically better than yesterday-flat water without chop, comfortable temperature, decent visibility, and small waves.
I felt good and did the swim in 33 minutes but it would have been a bit longer but a fishing boat was blocking me at the end of the pier.  The boat was big-probably 60 feet-and a harbor patrol/police boat was trying to get him to move farther out as I was rounding the pier.  I don't know what was up with the boat driver.
As I swam up onto the sand I was surprised to see my daughter and wife there with a sign that said "Happy Birthday Dad" and carrying those inflatable balloons.  It was a sweet surprise.  Can't believe I hit 54 years old.  Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment