Saturday, September 3, 2011

Friday Before Oceanside Labor Day Pier Swim Conditions and Swimmer Rescued

I went to the beach to swim if it was safe, but no deal late Friday afternoon.  I took a look at the Harbor and the waves were powerful, about 8 feet, big surge, but much more well-defined than yesterday.  Not safe to swim at the Harbor for sure.  No surfers there.
Then I parked at the south side of the pier and watched.  The rip current was running strong to the north from the sand to the end of the surf zone, from my observations.  There were 4 separate breaks, or lines of waves breaking parallel to the beach.  One would have to swim through 4 sets of waves to get out past the surf zone.  You would also have to start the race far south of the pier so the swimmers wouldn't get swept into the pier pilings before getting out past the surf zone.  It might be possible, though, depending on the day's conditions because the current far outside the surf zone & past the pier has been completely opposite to the inside rip current, or mild or neutral past the pier, in my recent swims over the past few weeks.
There were waders playing in the inside water-up to chest high-and being pulled northward.  One surfer only.  The lifeguards were vigilant.  Not ten minutes passed before what appeared to be a girl-maybe teenager-was out too far; she was between the first and second breaks and got into trouble.  I was watching her, and I was watching the lifeguards at the first south tower watching her:  #1 tower, I think.  I always get the odd and even tower numbers mixed up. 
Well, her arms didn't look right: she ended up with two arms upward and her neck was flush with the water surface.  I saw the lifeguard start to run off the tower and stop abruptly; was she in trouble or not, we both wondered?  I was taking inventory of my street clothes that I was wearing: long pants, shoes, shirt, wallet & keys in pockets, tighty whitey undies underneath.  They would fall off in a second if I jumped in after stripping down and heading into the water to assist, if needed.  That's all she would need to see: a fat, bald, old white guy running toward her in his skivvies-she just might rather drown than have that as her last vision on this planet.
Fortunately for all of us, a girl-teenager maybe-just in a little closer to the beach from her, had some water training and she waved BOTH arms over her head back & forth-the signal that a life & death rescue is needed.  Remember: if one needs help in the water you wave ONE arm over your head back and forth to signal for lifeguard help if death is NOT imminent.  Well, seeing both arms cinched the deal; the lifeguard tore out there with fins and the orange banana float, adjusting for the rip current.  He arrived near her but about fifteen feet south of her, which he covered in a flash and took a hold of her with the flotation device. 
After that, they both relaxed: the lifeguard put the banana float strap over his shoulder across his neck and lay on his back and did a backstroke in to the sand with fins on and the teenage girl fine holding on the orange float.  Successful, very smooth, professional rescue.  The lifeguard was the young guy with the blonde-white curly hair, about 3-4 inches long-his hair that is.  I know what you started thinking about-shame on you! He is maybe 20 years old, thin, and a regular guard there.  Sorry, I don't know his name but he is excellent!
Then I walked to the north side and there were about 8-10 surfers trying to get out into the big waves.  Waves were spread out (the interval) but closing out and only rideable in a few small areas.  One surfer was successful getting short rides on big waves just next to the pier.  The others either spent all their time trying to paddle out through the mess or sitting on their boards just outside the surf zone. 
I really wanted to get into the water with fins and my swimmer's safety vest with the CO2 cartridge and get out past the big waves if possible.  I wavered for ten minutes, ambivalent, and decided against it because my neck and back are still healing up.  Really-I didn't chicken out!  I just played it wise and safe.  I hope the surf settles down for Monday's Pier Swim.  If the Pier Swim were to be held on a day like yesterday we would be looking at drownings possibly, and many rescues for sure.  Not a good idea.
I remember a short triathlon that I did about 9-10 years ago on Camp Pendleton: a 2.2 mile ocean swim, a 25 mile bike ride, and a 6.2 mile run.  The surf was BIG and ROUGH and one guy drowned in the middle of the swim, and the lifeguards on jet skies were doing rescues as fast as possible-just grabbing people by the arm, speeding in not even to the sand, dropping them off, and whipping out for another rescue.  It was quite exciting, except for the sad, tragic loss of the drowned man-a man from San Francisco in his 40's as I recall.
Later this afternoon (I'm writing on Saturday 9-3-11) I will drive to the beach and check the conditions.  If a dip in the water is warranted and safe, I'll get in.  I'll bring the camera. Check the link for another shark sighting in San Diego, Aug 30.
Another Shark-Oh, boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment