Saturday, November 26, 2011

Beautiful Saturday Oceanside Pier

















Today was a great day for the family to go to the beach.  The water was too cold to swim, except for wading around and some people teasing each other to jump in.  The ocean was totally flat with a moderate current moving south.  The inside waves were pretty with surfers finding some good rides on 2-3 foot waves.  The sky was clear blue, with an air temperature of 71 degrees at the beach.  Kids were playing around and digging in the sand exploring.
I swam for 34 minutes with fins; I went against the current around the pier and had a beautiful swim.  The flatness of the water was weird.  I was smelling this odor as far out as the end of the pier but about a hundred yards south like workers were laying on a hot tar roof on a building in summertime.  I'm thinking 'What the Heck' as the smell gets stronger, so I pull up and there's an idiot in a boat running south parallel to me and way too close to me.  There's no way he didn't see me because it was so clear and beautiful out there.  And what kind of engine he had-I don't know.  The boat-about a 26 footer, cabin cruiser, must have been burning oil a bunch. The stink was strong. 
After that I got around the end and headed in-getting cold.  I found some good sand dollars on the sand after the swim-people were excited because the shell and sand dollar pickings were unusually good-what with the extremely low tide.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment