Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pier Swim with Fins Today




















Lots of people visiting the beach today.  The sky was blue and the water was good on the south side of the pier.  About 25 surfers were stretched out in the late afternoon surfing big waves.  Waves up to 7-8 foot at the biggest, I'd guess.  Most 4-5 feet.  The waves looked like there was an offshore breeze blowing the curl up, making them look pretty, but the breeze was onshore, as is typical. 
I wore fins and walked south a ways to find a small spot in the waves to get out through.  Even so, the rip close to shore was flowing northward very strongly.  Funny thing was that I swam out smoothly northwest toward the end of the pier, I was gliding effortlessly and peacefully.  When I got to the pier I swam into a new current that was moving southward-this is past the pier now.  The water also got dirty-it was the street runoff from the drains that was in the water-the oily, gravel taste of the street.  This is how the water was off the end of the pier and the rest of the way in.  The beautiful water was a couple of hundred yards south of the pier late this afternoon.  It was glorious there. 
Coming in a rough wave knocked my swim goggles off so I need to get a few more pairs.  I walked back in the water knee-deep and collected seashells on my walk back to the pier.  I got lots of good shells.  It was a very good swim for me today.  Good for my body and my mind.  Glad I went.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment