Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve Oceanside Pier Swim just before sunset



















My wife gave me an early Christmas present this afternoon of a good pair of ocean swimming goggles and a good swim cap.  I'll take a picture tomorrow maybe.  She also bought me a swim jacket-thin, wet-suit material that zips up the front.  I didn't wear it on my swim this afternoon.
I have this mental game ongoing with myself to see how long I can endure the cold water swimming with just a bathing suit.  How far into the year I can go..
Several years ago-about eight or more-I went through the first week of February with a bathing suit and a tight short sleeve rash guard.  I swam at least twice per week around the pier.  Then I cracked from the cold.
Since my health is better now I am trying to go through the year with my bare chest.  (I always wear a swim cap-this is essential to me for safety and common sense in the winter cold).
The tide was extremely low and the ocean was absolutely flat and peaceful.  No current of note.
I swam north to south in 29 minutes.  About twenty surfers were enjoying the beauty and well-shaped small waves.  No crowds, plenty of room for waves, just free nature stuff at a great beach.  I love it like that.
I didn't wear fins today.  I'm still a slow swimmer but I hang in there.
Merry Christmas to you swimmers and the rest of you.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment