Friday, January 13, 2012

Kicking With Fins On My Back Thursday 4:20PM

My back and neck are out of control-lots of misery, but Thursday after a painful back day at work I thought that kicking it out on my back might help strengthen and work the area.  The water was beautiful--about six-foot visibility, 1-3 foot waves, and flat with small ripples in the water past the surf zone. 
I wore my shorts and a swim cap, and tried out a new, thin wet suit top with sleeves.  It was still very cold in the water--a rash guard would have helped under the wet suit top if the aim was to keep toasty warm.  Not my goal at this time. 
I took it easy.  I kicked out relaxed until just a bit past the pier, and instead of going around, I just did an about-face and kicked in.  13 1/2 minutes out and I hit the sand at 24 1/2 minutes. 
No camera today; I had not planned to swim with all my pain issues.
It was nice just lying on my back looking at the sky.  The seagulls are busy going about their business.  It seems that the pelicans--which are all over the place this year--stir up the tiny fish when the pelicans make their dives into the water to grab a fish.  Then the seagulls must look for scraps or stunned fish. 
I entertained myself by counting the seconds between the gentle swell outside that would be building into breaking waves closer in.  Twelve seconds seemed to be the time interval between the gentle waves Thursday.  The sun is setting later now, so on my way in I got to watch its descending progress and the color changes in the sky and horizon as it settled lower toward the horizon.  It was kinda' neat because a large (40-60 feet, I'm guessing) fishing boat was stopped just under the sun.  There was a bunch of seagulls (maybe Jonathan Livingston Seagull was among them) just behind the boat feeding, I suppose. 
My hands froze, but I felt guilty about wearing the jacket.  It was a nice swim (or kick) overall.  Water temp--let me check surfline.com--57 to 59 degrees.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment