Saturday, February 4, 2012

Oceanside Scholastic Surf Contest and My Pier Swim





















We have a gorgeous day here in Oceanside, CA today.  I drove down and parked on the street above the beach and took some of these photos that show the roofs of the beach condos.  Spectacular blue sky, brilliant sunshine, shimmering blue ocean.
When I arrived there were some young (high school) surfers holding a contest on the south side.  They were tearing it up with a break to the right (south).  I decided to swim without the fins because the water was calmer than yesterday.  There was a steady water current moving north to soth, inside of the surf zone and out past the surf zone off the pier end.  I timed it and started far north to let the current take me along north to south.  The tide was moving out and the swim out was smooth.  Swimming in was a bit tougher going against the tide moving low.  I stopped about 100 yards north of the end of the pier to cough and clean mu goggles.  There was a young lady lifeguard close to me paddling a bif surfboard/paddleboard from somewhere north toward the pier/beach.  We chatted briefly.
I have a bad upper respiratory infection and my coughing is so wet and productive that it has been giving me a hard time breathing while swimming.  I keep having to cough like crazy and even stop to cough a bunch.  I'll be happy when this virus passes on.
My swimming in on a 45 degree angle from the pier end to the sand was a bit difficult-mostly for the coughing & somewhat for the outgoing tide. A 30 minute swim without fins-probably just under a mile.
It was a great day for families down there.  A magnificent beach day.  Who needs La Jolla or some fancy beach when we have such beauty here in Oceanside.
I'm quite thankful for this day!

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment