Thursday, April 19, 2012

I Swim Alone (Because I Can't Keep Up With Real Swimmers) ??

There may be a smidgen of truth to this.  Nah.  I'd just swim behind the faster swimmers anyway.  I need my personal space.  I swam Tyson Street out and around the pier in flat water today.  39 minutes, no fins.  Got tired.  The waves were small: 1-3 feet but the south side had 2 dozen surfers enjoying beautifully-shaped smallish waves.  Yesterday with my fins when the water was rougher, it took me 7 minutes to get out past the surf zone.  Today without fins I didn't watch my wristwatch, but it was only a few minutes.
It's just too doggone beautiful here for just me to know about the great open water swimming here in Oceanside.  It's weird.  I love the winter months more than the summer months.  It actually wasn't that cold today-maybe 60 degrees.  surfline.com says 55-58 degrees.  At least 58.
Maybe if I wasn't too fat to fit into a triathlon wet suit, I'd never have begun this cold water swimming?
And that ticks me off-why can't a guy 5'10" and 235 pounds buy a triathlon wet suit?  I've looked-and they don't exist.  Oh, well...
Who needs it.
I have my 2 swims in for the week already.
Forgot the camera again. Sorry.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

2 comments:

  1. dude I'm 5'9" and 225, I feel you on the wetsuit thing! They don't make them for guys like us, good thing it's more fun to swim without them anyways right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, I have another fellow at work who has gotten into swimming this winter with just trunks and fins-not even a swim cap. He's a beginner but likes the cold water too. Brendan

    ReplyDelete