Friday, May 11, 2012

Kicking with Churchill Fins Around the Pier

No camera today because I didn't intend to swim after work.  However, I drove by and the water was enticing.  It looked rough, with a current going northward.  I wore a rash guard t-shirt because I have my 2 swims with bathing suit only done for the week.  A little luxury for me.  My body wasn't up for swimming so I kicked around against the current with the fins.  The water was clean with waves 2-5 feet.  Good visibility for here.  The sky was partly to mostly cloudy with some blue sky.  The sun was occluded by clouds but it had that look where some little bit of the sun's rays shoot through the cloud openings in straight lines that look like a scene out of a religious painting.
The inside water was greenish blue but the water took on a deeper blue mid-pier and farther out.  Rippled water surface and gentle 1-2 foot swells with long intervals between swells.  It was nice to be able to relax and see it all.
There were 4 helicopters flying around the area; I don't know why.  The water was warm-probably 62 or so.  A big group of surfers lined the waves on the south side; they were stretched out in a line about 200 yards, taking advantage of big, beautiful waves-about 3 dozen surfers-and some with no wet suits.
A nice swim to work the legs and stomach with kicking it out with the fins. 


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

1 comment:

  1. Yes that definitely happens from too steep of a south swell in the summer (or north swell in the winter) where the swell is almost in the same direction as the land and it side swipes you all the way down the beach!

    ReplyDelete