Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pier Swim the Evening of Junior Seau's Death-Wednesday














I went down later today to swim because the Junior Seau death had lots of press and people crowding the beach area just a few blocks south of the Pier where I swim.  I figured it would be better to go later.  At 6 PM there were still lots of people walking the Strand and on the sand near Junior's house.  Cars could not get down the street; a police car blocked the entrance to the street.
The water was warm again-the third day in a row.  The waves were small and there was a small chop to the outside water.  No current.  Visibility less than yesterday-about 4 feet.  Still a greenish hue to the water under a partly cloudy sky.  The sun still had an hour to shine before setting for the night.
During my swim I thought for a while about Junior growing up near the beach here in Oceanside and living in a home just across the one-way Strand across from the sand.  I thought about all the good works he had done for others in his lifetime.  Years ago, he went to my kids' elementary school in Oceanside for a visit and gave out free tickets to a pre-season game.  We attended the game.
I read today that he gave at least $4,000,000 in philanthropic works over the last ten years!  What an amazing man!  Oceanside has lost a special man today. 
I also thought about my arm stroke during the swim.  Basically I thought about Junior on the way out and my arm stroke on the way in.  My left arm doesn't want to behave as well as my right arm.  It just doesn't feel comfortable doing a correct stroke with my left arm. 
The water was a bit too warm and I was slow and lazy tonight.  Gosh, I can't even think of anything interesting to write tonight.  Just keep it real.


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment