Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sunday 6 PM Pier Swim Oceanside, San Diego Ocean Swimming



















There are a few good pictures above of a dozen or so surfers sitting on their boards awaiting the next set of waves.  I got in about 6 PM, and the water was warm enough to walk right in-no time needed to get used to the water.  Surfline.com has the temp again at 59-62 degrees, and I'd go with the 62 or even higher.  The water was a bit cleaner than yesterday and nice for swimming.  Flat outside again, and 2-3 foot waves.  Great waves for novice surfers. 
Again, a few dozen beachgoers in the water along with 2 dozen surfers.  Now, we are talking 6 to 7 PM, so most of the people had since departed.  This is my favorite time for the beach-after the crowds leave.  I didn't see any fish while I swam the pier but as I finished my swim, I saw a few people pointing to sea, and there were a few dolphins swimming about just outside of the surfers where I had been.  They had probably been near me but I missed seeing it.
I felt the current pulling me back toward the pier on the way in.  I was closer than usual to the pier on the south side, so I swam on an angle toward the beach and away from the pier.  This is when I felt the current against me.  I really was pulling to move south but didn't get very far at all.  It was an unseen current, but it made me work the last third of my swim.
I had a hard time with breathing on my right tonight; the neck was really hurting turning it to the right.  I did most of my breathing on the left side tonight. 
I'm starting to think that the purpose of my goal may be moot now.  My challenge and goal was to persevere during the cold, winter water over the fall 2011 to summer 2012.  I need to start looking back through my swim logs to see specifically when I can call an end to my streak and an achievement of my goal.  I may be there already.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment