Saturday, June 2, 2012

Avila Beach Saturday Noonish Cold Swim

So, I have Saturday free until the Cal Poly Student Symphony this evening. My daughter is the pianist accompanying the student symphony show tonight.  I woke up with a sore body from yesterday's swim to the first buoy off the end of Avila Pier and back.  Since I'm here with free time, I took advantage of this gorgeous beach and did the same swim again today.
When I got in today, there were small waves at Avila.  And the water felt colder than yesterday to me.  I was cold in my unlined jammers, swim cap, and goggles.  I have a higher degree of respect for Rob D and his crew for their ongoing cold-water swimming. 
I don't know if it's just me, but once you reach the end of the Avila Pier and look for the first white buoy, that thing seems way the heck out there!
Is it about the same distance from the beach to the pier end as from the pier end to the first buoy?
I hit a warmer area half-way to the buoy which was pleasant.  However, today I had the creeps pretty significantly near the buoy.  The creeps, to me, is a feeling of discomfort mentally because I am thinking about an impending shark attack. 
I swam faster because of the creeps and did the swim in 40 minutes today.  I feel good now--about 2 hours later after a hot bath & hot shower.  And some coffee.
No photos because I didn't want to go back and forth to my car with the camera. 
Avila is Awesome!


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment