Sunday, June 10, 2012

Avila Beach Swim

On Thursday, June 7th, I swam for 35 minutes at Avila Pier while we were on a trip for our daughter's college graduation at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.  The water was cold with a moderate current moving to the south.  I'm guessing the temp was 52 degrees because last week when I swam there in 54 and 53 degree water, I was not as cold as the Thursday swim.  My head and face hurt for a good ten minutes and I started to get used to the water at about 15 minutes.  I stayed cold and never felt like I was generating any heat at all; my heat was just being drained from me.  I went a little past the end of the pier, then went south around a small, round red float, back to the pier against the current, and then in to the beach.
I'm glad I got the swim in at about 2 PM.  Avila's summer water temp is about the same as Oceanside's winter temp.  Interesting.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment