Friday, June 22, 2012

Rough, Open-Water Swim Oceanside, CA

I didn't bring the camera because I just got my car cleaned out today, so I didn't have any junk in there, including cameras.
Friday night--about 5 PM to 6:30 PM.  I just had a great 70 minute rough swim out there.  The water really is warm:great for beachgoers, but I could use more cold.  I will look up the temp now on surfline.com
64-66 degrees. Probably the high side of that.  The surf zone was rough.  It took me about 3-4 minutes to swim through the continuous 3 foot waves.  I have found out through experience that I swim more effectively and quicker through rough surf if I swim with short arm strokes with a quicker cadence. 
There was a strong enough current running south that I decided to swim against it.  I swam north into the current about fifty yards past the surf zone where there was a big, irregular, nasty chop to go along with the oncoming current.  All I needed was to be cold and I would have been really happy.
I swam to the first rock jetty and turned around.  I reached the jetty at 40 minutes. I swam 30 minutes back to where I started-about 100 yards north of the pier.  I still felt good.  I had good wind, no fear, and deecent swimming technique for me, I think.
A really nice swim workout for me.  I had not felt up to getting in the water all week-4 days without salt water-so it was a welcome treat.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment