Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tiki Swim and Relevant Water Conditions














I've been thinking about this weekend's upcoming Tiki Swim and I swam part of the course today to offer some information for those who have not swum this piece of water.  I am not swimming Tiki; I'm not really up to it and $100 is too much for me to pay to go swimming.
Yesterday I swam from Surfrider Way north to the south rock jetty and back. This is one segment of Tiki. Today I swam from Surfrider Way north to the south rock jetty and then on to the north rock jetty.  This swim took me 1 hour and 3 minutes.  But water conditions is what I want to cover in this post for those swimming Tiki.
The current again today was running north to south. The water was mildly choppy to the south jetty.  The seaward drift was cool to experience today, because I was paying attention to it today.  What happens is a little north of the pink Roberts Cottages, the ocean takes you seaward as you swim forward. It's kinda' cool.
Now the tough part. My swim today from Surfrider Way to south jetty took 29 minutes. The leg from south jetty to north jetty (where you will turn into the harbor channel) was TOUGH. The chop in the water was about 1.5 feet continuous. The surface water continuously hit me in the face. The current was mildly moving north to south.  I did this leg in 34 minutes and my arms were tired. 
This really is a good rough water ocean swim.  The water was too warm; it was actually very warm in the area from south jetty to north jetty.  I'd guess 72 degrees--uncomfortably warm. 
The water was dirty, visibility nothing--a couple of feet.  I am a slow swimmer (5'10" & 235 pounds) and my overall time I predict would be just under the 2 hour and 20 minute cutoff time IF I did this swim.  People who do good times in this swim are darn good rough water swimmers. 


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment