Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spring Arrived in Oceanside Today









It was 64 degrees at the beach today but it felt warmer.  The sun was bright and the warmth was palpable.  Really beautiful.  More people there enjoying the warm conditions; you could play in the water to your waist and get warmed up by the sun.  Let me check surfline.com for the water temp.  It felt a bit warmer than yesterday so I'll guess 59.  And the answer is: 55-57.  Wow. That tells you how much I know.
The surf was bigger than usual and the surf zone was very deep--about 150 yards of surf to swim through.  The outside waves were 6 foot.  You can't tell that from my photos.  Also I didn't think it was that big as I studied the water before I went in.  The interval between waves was small, maybe 5-10 seconds.
I went in and swam hard for 7 minutes to get through that surf zone; I rested for a minute after it.  With the current moving north to south I faced the common "get out past the waves before you get dragged into the pier" scenario.  Mission accomplished.
The ocean was flat but it had neat, large swells out 300-400 yards.  Very pretty and easy to swim through.
The south side had bigger waves and I got wiped out 2-3 times by some big white water.  Just a beautiful afternoon and an exciting swim.  34 minutes to get around the pier.





"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment