Thursday, May 16, 2013

May 16, 2013 I had high hopes for a long swim, but reality limited me to a thirty-minute rough swim.

Morning swim 1/2 mile or so south of the Pier.










This far south the parking is free.  I walked down the little, steep hill to the tiny parking lot after I parked on the street above.  My grandiose plan was to swim straight out from tower 7 to the bobbing float about 250 yards offshore.  Then I had wanted to swim north and past the pier, turn around, and return.
Well, first fate intervened.  My serenity was tested.  My grasp of my emotions was challenged.  I was strolling slowly with some other people across the one-lane entry into the pay lot and this driver pulls up behind me and almost touched me with his crummy car.  He was a 50'ish scuzzy, half-homeless looking surfer in a thirty-year-old car.  I stopped, looked at him, and asked, "Do we have a problem?"  That is that great line you hear tough guys say in the movies just before they beat someone half to death.  He tells me, "Hey, I coulda' beeped my horn to get you out of the way. I didn't."  I say, "So a misunderstanding, okay"  I begin to walk toward the water.  Then he couldn't help himself, he says, "You're just walking around in a daze; wake up."  Now I am very close to attack mode, and say to him, " So we DO have a problem?"  He mumbles about walking faster and with my GREAT self-control I just say, "OK, so you're a wise guy; that's your thing.  OK, so-long wise guy."  And that was that.  But, oh boy, I wanted to pound him a few times but refrained.  So, I swam, but my mind couldn't relax.  I kept thinking that I wanted to see him on his board in the water.  The water was rough swimming out; it took me 16 minutes to hit the buoy.  I did see about 3 big dolphins before I got in moving south slowly in the surf zone.  Visibility was better, about 8-10 feet.  Water temp felt about 65.  Let's check.  64-66.  The 1-2 foot chop took my energy away, and my heart wasn't in it anyway.  The self-growth was that I said a Psalm to myself to calm myself, and it gave me peace instead of a vicious need for revenge.  

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment