Sunday, May 5, 2013

One month with no salt water; I think it's a record for me.

A couple of geese in our pool for Spring mating, I guess.
 
 Brigid said I look homeless in this photo. It is my after-swim cold and miserable face.
 The tide is staying soooo low for weeks.
 Hardly anybody in the water today--very sloppy and somewhat rough.
 S



I have missed so much water time. Two weeks ago my physical therapist told me to swim with a snorkel and a mask so that I would not have to turn my head to breathe.  I bought a new snorkel and busted out my thirty-year-old military dive mask.  The water was coming in hard as I entered to try out this new rig.  I hung with it for ten minutes and gave up.  I may try something a bit different.  The problem today was that my mask stayed foggy and wet as I swam out into the continuous waves.
I may have given up too soon.  My swim was in 60-62 degree water today; one could just walk right in.  It was hard swimming out with a two-foot chop and a strong northward current with the chop slapping me on the left side of my head.
About a half-hour to get out past the pier.  Then I finished at 48 minutes.  It's so nice to have that relief from back pain while in the water, and such a bummer when I get back on the sand and have difficulty bending over to pick up a seashell.
The neck hurts IN the water as I rotate my head to breathe.  Crazy stuff.
Refreshing, invigorating, pleasant, a little scary, and satisfaction with a job well done.  Lots of emotions during my ocean swims.


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

1 comment: