Friday, June 14, 2013

Friday Afternoon Oceanside Pier Rough Water Swim
















     I got in the water today early afternoon.  The area was crowded with folks enjoying the beautiful day, warm water, and positive energy (ha ha).  The water looked rough and I took a long time trying to figure out which direction to swim.  I was wrong. I went north to south (right to left) and the current was strong south to north.  The mile swim was more like a mile-and-a-half with the current in my face.  The chop was big or here--a solid two feet all the way. 
     The green water was probably 70 or more, but the lifeguard's chalkboard had 66.  No way.  It was actually too warm on the south side of the pier.  The swim was up and down with timing my breaths with the surging and splashing of the water.  Even bringing it in to finish and swim through the surf was difficult.  Crazy.  A surprising swim that challenged me.  It took me 47 minutes to touch sand.  That's ten minutes more than typical for me.  I'm going to bed early tonight and dream of green, gentle water.  Not really.  I loved the surprise rough water conditions.


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment