Thursday, August 1, 2013

Brief Rough Swim South of Pier

I drove from the Harbor to the Pier, and then south to Wisconsin Street.  Parking is free there.  I found a beach access stairway at Ash Street between two houses that I didn't know existed.  The beach was rough all along and the Lifeguards were roving around taking care of business.  I noted a fire engine and two ambulances with lights on in the Harbor and Pier areas.  I hope everybody is ok.  The stabbings won't start 'til midnight.
The water was chilly for me.  I don't have my cold water tolerance back yet.  My swim was only twenty minutes but the water was very choppy and rough to swim in and catch a breath.  It was beautiful, refreshing, clean water.  Visibility about 8 feet.  Surfline has the water at 64 degrees, but it felt colder to me.  I just swam out through a rough surf zone: 2-3 foot waves with a strong surge of white water, coming one right after the other.  Then I swam south parallel to the beach for 6-7 minutes, and back.  Then a swim in to a beach with some strong water right up to the rocks.  Just the right thing for me in my quest for maintaining and possibly improving my condition.


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."



No comments:

Post a Comment