Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 Pier Swim Attempt but Crazy Water!

     So what a difference a day can make!  I felt like another trip at the Pier so I drove there at noonish.  The water was very rough, with a chop up to four-feet all over and whitecaps whipped up by a strong, steady wind to the north.
     One surfer tried to surf the mess for ten minutes and moved on to something more fruitful.  I have no idea what they might have been, but just watching the water would have been fun enough.
     The water was warm, probably another 70 degree day; but from the first step into it the waves were throwing me around like nothing.
     Nonetheless, I swam out through the surf zone, through the surf zone, and through the surf some more.  After five minutes I realized that the surf zone was endless today.  What a crazy washing-machine, heavy-duty big chop to the water.  I pulled up three times to see what the heck...eventually I let reason control my actions and I stopped just a little past the bathrooms on the Pier.  There was no way "I" was gonna' get around so I swam back in.  The entire deal was 15 minutes.  It really made me wonder how the long-distance swimmers do it in the rough water--they must have a helluva' powerful kick.
     Anyway, I did have fun.  I'm glad I went, and I'm a fortunate man.



"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment