Saturday, December 21, 2013

Brief Swim Saturday Late Afternoon--Not all that much fun.

    
The sun was moving toward its area of descent at about 3:30 PM today.  The sun shone so brightly that it was difficult to see outward from the sand.  There's lots of shimmering water on a day like today. 

We had a little rain two days ago and the water was still stirred up and a bit choppy.  Waves were about one to three feet occasionally.  I got in thinking I would swim out to the end of the pier and back but it didn't turn out that way. 
The area above in the picture had about ten surfers when I was in.  They were happy with a two-foot wave that would give them several seconds of rush.  I went in on the right side (north side) of this pier picture to the tune of about one hundred yards--that is to be courteous and stay out of the territory of the surfers.  My goggles stayed dirty and fogged up as I was swimming out--I guess it's time to throw them away--and I couldn't see well as I swam.  There were two breaks today.  I was out of the surfers' way on my right and left on the first break, but before I hit the bigger break outside I caught sight of two surfers on my right.  I swam left to evade, and one of them caught a wave and headed right toward my head.  I made myself under the surface instantly, and in time, because this fellow wanted to run over my head.  He missed, I got under, and I continued swimming out past the bigger waves. 
I don't really feel anger about it--more of a sadness that a person is feeling and acting out in such a manner.  Anyway, I continue swimming a couple of minutes and I have to stop because I have no air.  I'm feeling tight around my neck and head, constricted, and short of breath.  I decided the heck with it--swim a few minutes and get out.  I didn't even go out far and I only spent twelve minutes in the water.  Let me look up the temperature now: 58-60 per surfline.com.  Sounds accurate.  I guess that's my report for today. 



"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment