Thursday, August 13, 2015

Today Was a Good Beach Day

     Wow!  I decided to take my fins to the beach today to test them out on my low back.  I was expecting the washing machine choppy water and I wanted the fins for propulsion and for working on my strength.
     It turns out that the water was not as choppy and sloppy as prior days.  It wasn't smooth, but just less rough.  First off the water was a bit colder; I'd guess 66 degrees.  It was very refreshing for a change.  Visibility just a few feet.  Waves 2-4 feet.  Outside waves were crashing down straight down.  I, with my fins, just kicked out through the rough stuff on my back like I knew what I was doing.
     I'll pat myself on the back for getting farther out and pushing myself more today.  I almost felt like a person who belonged in the ocean.
     Now, for a general Oceanside beach update, I will report that Camp Pendleton has at least two fires going today, possibly a smaller third one.  From out in the water one gets a good view of Pendleton in the distance.  Because it is Thursday and there is a street fair in downtown Oceanside, everybody and his brother were driving there looking for a parking spot.  Too much! 
     The sand at 6:30 PM was near empty--just how I like it. 
     A bit of excitement walking back to my car--one of our homeless, schizophrenic wretches--a man of about 35-40, shirtless, ratty shorts, red/brown weather-beaten face, way out of our reality, was ambling down Surfrider calling out repeatedly in a screeching voice "I'm gonna die; I'm gonna die; I'm gonna die..."
     I'm being harsh in my description but I actually am terribly upset with our society that has pretty much eliminated our social service system for the mentally ill, the homeless, the addicts in need of rehabilitation, etc.  There are so many of these throw-away people now that we pretend we don't see them anymore.  I don't know. 


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment