Monday, September 12, 2011

Several Days Without Ocean...Ended Sunday. Lots of Stingrays Seen

After the Pier Swim I didn't feel the need to get into the ocean for a few days.  Then I was lazy for a few days; and finally, Sunday I got in the water.  There was an event at the amphitheater with a fire truck and a band.  The fire truck had its ladder extended far up, with an American flag waving atop.  The band played some country, which was refreshing.
I forgot my swimming trunks.  I have a couple of wetsuits in my trunk so I wore a wetsuit.  The water was choppy and sloppy.  Not a day for swimming for a semi-lazy swimmer with no trunks.  Instead I went out and dove for sea shells.  The wet suit with its buoyancy, made it difficult to stay down.  I didn't think that I was out there long, but my watch said 1 hour.  I got several shells but the neat thing about Sunday was how many small stingrays I saw at the bottom.
I was really surprised that every other time that I went to the bottom I saw a stingray.  Well, one doesn't really get a close-up, good view of a stingray in the sand.  When you get about 4 feet from them, they scurry away...fast-and you get a very brief glimpse of them escaping.  Then you see the impression left behind in the sand shaped like a stingray.  Lots of times you don't even see the ray-you just see the sand stirred up in a line where they swam away.  They are fast.
So keep doing the "stingray shuffle" when you go to the beach.  Stir up the sand as you walk around and wade in the ocean-because they are there.  They don't want to be anywhere near you; they don't want to sting you; it only happens accidentally if you step on one that didn't have time to get away first.


















No comments:

Post a Comment