Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Trying to Surf at Oceanside Pier

I went to the Pier Monday-I had a day off-either to swim or try out a new surfboard that we bought recently.  I took the board out on the north side where there were no surfers.  I can't really surf, but I have been known to try repeatedly-and even not knowing how to surf when you are surfing is fun.
This board is just under 7 feet and so buoyant, compared to the giant, old, heavy, nine-foot surfboard that I have had for years.  That old board was so hard to paddle, but this new one is easy to paddle. 
I instantly was in severe neck pain, because my neck doesn't bend; but I tried to stand up for about 35 minutes.  The water was green/blue, clean, beautiful, and refreshing.  I think the temp was about 65 degrees.  No wet suit needed.
I am writing this on Tuesday morning-another day off-and my neck still hurts. Surfing definitely hurts more than swimming.  I even feel sore lower stomach muscles from the surfing.  I'll still take that board out once in a while when the waves are small.  I stood up briefly on a small wave and left feeling good.






No comments:

Post a Comment