Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wednesday Pier Swim in Red Tide-Nasty, Brown Water-Oceanside, CA

So, they are saying that the brown ocean is from a bloom of algae called a red tide.  I tried to stay out of it for a few days but couldn't help myself yesterday.  I jumped in and swam a long route around the pier in 37 minutes.  Visibility was just to the end of my arms, and the thick, brown areas had tiny, solid, brown particles in big clouds of water out there.  Off the end of the pier it thinned out and some blue broke through.  There were still about 3 dozen surfers there surfing the well-shaped 1-3 foot waves.  Two feet was about the common size wave but the shape was good.
My eyes were stinging afterward and red, so I was using eye drops to rinse them out and soothe them for a couple of hours.  The water was cold but I was in trunks.  Probably low sixties.  I hope the algae die off soon.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment