Sunday, January 1, 2012

Chris O'Dowd Wins 2012 First Annual Oceanside New Year's Day Pier Swim!



















Oh, I should say that I was the only participant in the First Annual New Year's Day Oceanside Pier Swim, in the interest of full disclosure.  The air temp was 62 and surfline.com says the water temp was 57 to 59.  I'm guessing it was about 60 degrees.  I did my New Year's Day Pier swim without fins and in trunks.  I wore the warm swim cap.  The water was excellent:flat as a table out past the breakers.  The shape of the waves was excellent.  About 3 dozen surfers spread out along both sides of the pier.  Swells up to 4 feet.  Beautiful shape.  Visibility about 8 feet but the color of the water was a sweet greenish-light blue.  There were lots of beachgoers strolling around enjoying the beautiful day under a cloudless sky. 
I had the swim to myself; I like it better alone anyway.  I didn't feel very cold at all really today.  I was concentrating on my arm movement and a 4 beat, relaxed kick.  32 minute swim; I hit off the end of the pier about 100 yards at 15 minutes.  Just past the breakers coming in I had to swim south parallel to the beach to find an open spot between the surfers to sneak in.  Excellent swim day.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

2 comments:

  1. After this stunning victory do you need a manager to handle your possible endorsement deals? Comment from a friend in Leesburg, VA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I think in August when I turn 55, I could do a stupid ad for AARP or Icy Hot Rub.

      Delete