Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Marine Convoy

This post has nothing to do with ocean swimming but I'm branching out to other topics.  Yesterday I was driving from Temecula, CA to Oceanside, CA on Interstate 15.  This is part of the route that the Marine Corps drives when they go out to their desert training base at Twenty-Nine Palms, CA.
Temecula temperature was 101 degrees and these Marines were returning from temperatures in the neighborhood of 110 degrees. They may have been out there for two weeks or two months--who knows, but 29 Palms is a miserable place.
As I drove along at 60-70 miles-per-hour, being passed by most cars going faster, we all passed this slower, long convoy of 8-wheel military vehicles with Marines in full combat gear sitting on top of the vehicles, hanging out of the vehicles, standing inside with their upper bodies outside getting fresh air, etcetera. 
The vehicles were traveling at 50-55 miles-per-hour. 
Now here is what what special about this encounter: At least 3 of every 4 cars that passed by EACH armored vehicle (I'm going to refer to them as LAV-25's--the top picture) slowed down and waved to the Marines aboard each LAV-25, and ALL of the Marines waved back to all of the cars.
I personally passed by about 16 LAV's in the rear portion of this convoy, and I waved to all of them.  I saw other drivers switching lanes to get to the lane adjacent to the Marines to give then the 'thumbs-up,' a smile, or a wave. 
I was struck by a very deep admiration and respect for these men, and I got goose bumps as I drove along. The striking thing to me was that most of the drivers on the highway were hit by that same feeling of patriotism and an appreciation for the work the Marines are doing for us. 
These men are the best that we have, and to see them being thanked and appreciated was quite touching. 
(And I do hope that they get a swim in when they are in Oceanside)


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment