Saturday, November 12, 2011

Rainy Oceanside Pier Non-Swim Swim

I didn't make it to the water Friday, when I was off for Veterans Day.  Too much low back pain.  I wish that I could figure out whether the swimming helps the pain or exacerbates it.  However, regardless of that answer, I'd still have to get into the water for other reasons.  One of those reasons is the old saying that I remember from years ago, that I have begun to write at the close of my web entries. 
Today we have rainy weather and I went to the beach to swim.  I took some pictures before entering and some of the shots have raindrops on them.  The water looked beautiful; all one needed to do was eliminate the rain from one's view.  There were surfers stretched out along the beach both north and south of the pier because the waves were big and beautiful.  The waves were coming in at shorter-than-usual intervals but with a beautiful, curved shape to them-excellent for the surfers. 
There was a big problem though, making it a day for the higher level swimmers and surfers, i.e., there was a very strong rip current to the north combined with crashing, strong waves one on top of the other, making it very difficult to get out past the breakers.
Well, there were no high-level swimmers, as usual.  I got in on the north side of the pier and worked for a bit to get through the waves.  Beyond the waves the ocean appeared flat and good for swimming.  However, after fighting the incoming wave power and flowing with the rip current, I decided that it wasn't going to happen for me today.  I only stayed in for ten minutes.  In that time I was moved about a half-mile northward.  Sometimes it's better to pack it in and be safe.  The surfers seemed to be going through a similar decision-making process.  They were going in, being moved up the beach, and getting out-some of them.  The best guys were able to get through the stuff and ride 4-6 footers, at least. 
At least I tried, and that can be enough at times.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."





















No comments:

Post a Comment