Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Channel Swims, Marathon Swims, etc

Honestly, I just don't know how the long-distance swimmers can do what they do in the open water-with the rough conditions, the effects of the cold water on one's ability to swim, problems with visibility due to waves, etc.  I am getting a better appreciation of the difficulties of doing a swim of a few miles or a swim across one of the Channel Islands, or the Catalina to Long Beach crossing. 
It is tough out there.  With the cold water now-probably 58 or 59 - the body quickly doesn't want to perform.  The hands chill up and the fingers don't want to stay together during the arm pull; the legs just want to hang there and don't want to flutter kick; and keeping on direction gets tougher.
Tuesday's swim was fine, but I only swam for 31 minutes.  Without a wet suit, think of the swimmers in colder water swimming for several hours...Just amazing.
I swam north to south and guessed correctly-with the current.  I've been watching the surfers and the direction in which they face in the water.  The chop was 1-2 feet.  The last two swims of mine I swam through the surfers coming in even though I was looking out for them to avoid them as usual.  It's hard to see with the chop now.  I rounded the pier before the sun set and had a view of an almost-full moon coming in. 









"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment