Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 Oceanside Harbor Swim

This afternoon after work the tide was low but the waves were still big with great shape for the surfers. The water was chilly-about 58 degrees. I wanted to see how I could swim without my Churchill fins, so that's what I did. I was comfortable swimming horizontally southward without the fins. I've been feeling that I'm cheating with my permanently-attached swim fins, so I need to wean myself off of them. Sunday after my swim I was reading up on the internet about kicking technique in ocean swimming: 2 beat kick, 4 beat kick, style, etc. on multiple web sites. I had e-mailed a fellow named Rob at www.robaquatics.com with a question about fins vs. no fins.

He responded amiably with good information for me, which got me counting my number of kicking beats per stroke cycle on Monday. Rob suggested pool training techniques to improve and strengthen the kick but I really am not a pool guy. So today, without the fins, I counted that I have a natural 4 kicks per stroke cycle (2 arm pulls), which was quite comfortable and effective for me.

I am sore today in the shoulders and back so I must have been doing something better yesterday. Tomorrow I'll go for a longer no-fin swim and see how I hold up.

No comments:

Post a Comment