Sunday, April 10, 2011

Jellyfish Oceanside Pier April 9, 2011














Saturday was windy and very rough in the water. I took these pictures but they DO NOT give the viewer a good appreciation of how nasty it was out there. I saw two surfers on the south side and two boogie boarders on the north side while I was in the water. After I got out, I went back to the south side and took a few pictures of the jellyfish. Yes, jellyfish. Very rare sighting in Oceanside, CA. On Saturday I saw five little jellyfish.

I thought that I had the wind and current figured out before I went in so that I would be swimming with the current, but somehow I had it wrong-or else the water was just so crazy that the chop was going both ways. I was swallowing tiny bits of seawater throughout, and really had to lift my head high to breathe. Water temp was warmer, maybe 61 or so. A few people were in up to the waist. All day Saturday I was not planning to go the the beach but by about 4 PM I felt so crummy that I needed my water therapy. I was much better afterward at home. There's nothing like cold, nausea, misery, fear, exertion, and adrenaline to put a bit of life back in one's soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment