Thursday, June 16, 2011

Race Across America Still Lots of Bikes at the Pier

This afternoon was a beautiful one at the Oceanside Pier. The air temp was about 63 and the water about 61. Very clean water again. Green-blue aqua color with visibility about fifteen feet. I swam with the current from south to north. It was demanding getting out through the surf zone; although the waves topped out at 4-5 feet-but they were powerful. I had good air today and got through the surf quickly. Maybe the water being a bit warmer helped. The lifeguard boat and jet ski were out active in the pier area today; I like to see them for safety overall. They do a great job! About fifteen or more sufers on the north side of the pier where the waves were breaking. They formed a collection in a small area very close to the pier, where there were good-sized corners to work. Farther out the waves were mostly walled off or closing out. As I got out I was excited to find a large sea shell for the home collection-the biggest shell yet-about 6 inches long. Neat! So the pier was the place to be today: kids' soccer practice at the amphitheater, bike crews and bicyclists with booths and gear and riders all over the place, the lady who runs an exercise class at the beach daily had lots of participants, and the usual summer vacationers and beachgoers. Plus, more than usual surf action. However, I had the ocean "Out Past the Breakers" all to myself, as usual. I just can't ever get over it. It's like it is MY ocean! Very nice.


















No comments:

Post a Comment