Saturday, July 23, 2011

Avila Beach Pier Swim Saturday

I'm visiting in San Luis Obispo and stopped by Avila Beach early this afternoon to check out the swimming there.  I looked around for Rob, but as I am totally unfamiliar with the place I didn't see him.  Since kids were playing in the water, I figured the water was warm enough to swim it in trunks.  I had looked the temperature up on www.surfline.com and it said it was 59 degrees.  Not bad.  I think it may have been warmer than that.  I decided just to swim around the short Avila Pier since it was new to me.
The water was calm.  I got used to it in a few minutes.  I was surprised to see that visibility was lousy, almost nonexistent, and cloudy.  
The scenery at Avila is great!  Parking is a chore.  I didn't bring any cash but I got a free spot out on the main road very close to the beach.
I saw one black seal close in to the beach but it didn't come near me as I swam, as far as I know.  I just swam out on the south side, then around and back in on the north side.  No fins or cap, just goggles.  I'm guessing the swim was about one-third of a mile, maybe one-half mile max.  Uneventful but enjoyable.  I couldn't find my camera so no pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment