Friday, July 15, 2011

Oceanside Labor Day Pier Swim Training Thursday

















The tide was out today so the swim was a bit shorter than usual. Again warm water, silty and stirred up inside, clearing to several feet of visibility out past the breakers. I just wore swim trunks today as the chop was 1 foot or less and I decided not to worry about getting run over by a boat or jet skier. It was a good swim with an emphasis on my arm stroke technique. My pull and push of the water on the arm stroke was my focus today. I tried to concentrate on keeping my arms closer in to my body as I pulled the water toward me and then that extra push of the water backward with my hands before I raised the arms for recovery. It seemed to be a more effective arm stroke for me, and I think the speed of my swim was helped a bit. Although, I use the term "speed" very loosely. It's probably more accurate to say that my arm stroke felt more efficient.
There was a heavier police presence at the pier today but I didn't notice anything unusual. The current was neutral far out but in the surf zone there was a strong rip current moving northward.

No comments:

Post a Comment