Saturday, December 3, 2011

Oceanside Triathlon in the Winter Months--How About It?

I swam today (Saturday) at about 2:30 or 3 PM around the Oceanside Pier in a wide arc, a solid mile swim.  37 minutes with just trunks.  For the first time this winter my forehead and face hurt when I got into the water.  They got used to the cold in 5 minutes or so.  To me, the face-hurt/forehead hurt temperature is upper fifties Fahrenheit.  I'll check http://www.surfline.com/  now.

Well, they have it at 58 to 60 degrees.  I think it was the low end or lower with my face hurting today.  It was a different level of cold water than 2 days ago.  I swam north to south.  The waves were small to medium; I'd say 2 to 4 feet at the biggest sets.  The water past the surf zone was pretty flat-just a small chop to it out by the end of the pier area. 
It was hard to get a rhythm going with the cold.  I had to keep thinking to keep my fingers together and pull through, then push the water backward before I recovered my arms.  My fingers were frozen.  I had a few short spans coming in when I got a rhythm with the incoming water which were nice. 
I was dizzy afterward and rested on one knee for a few minutes in two-foot water; unfortunately I swallowed a big gulp of water as a wave smashed me at this time.  The water came back up immediately with a quick vomiting reaction-interesting how sea water makes one vomit instantly when swallowed.

So, how about a winter triathlon in Oceanside?  I'm sure there would be a turnout of cold water crazies.  Less crowded, different, and the bike & run afterward would warm up the participants.  Enough for now.






























"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment