Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thursday Dec 1 Swim About 4 PM








I wish that I could take pictures that really convey the beauty and reality of the ocean conditions when I swim.  I have an old camera and I take photos from the parking lot or the sidewalk where the sand begins.  Thursday was really beautiful at the beach.  There have been windy conditions in Southern California and some easterly winds, but our winds here were moving from north to southeast, as far as I could tell.  It was chilly just standing at the beach, much less getting into the water on Thursday afternoon.
The waves were 2-4 feet, strong waves with very little interval between waves.  I immediately decided that I would wear fins when I saw the water.  The current was obviously running strong and south.  I'm still hanging with my swim trunks-holding off on the wet suit-but it's getting tougher.  Thursday I didn't remember to bring my good Speedo, warm swim cap; so I wore 3 cheapo swim caps.
I got in on the north side of the pier and the rip current was strong southward.  It was just medium difficulty kicking out through the surf.  I had a brisk swim around the pier.  The water temp was 58, I believe, and 58 is cold.  My swim was 26 1/2 minutes and I was trying to go fast to get it done.
There were lots of surfers out, though my pictures don't have enough pixels to show them.
Just a lively, cold swim, with lots of action from Mother Nature throwing me around (also the surfers).
I love the beach at the Oceanside Pier-and the winter is the best-except for those infrequent, beautiful, glassy, long summer swims.  But deep in my heart, I'm a winter swimmer kind of guy.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment