Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sunday Late Afternoon Kick









This afternoon late I got in and kicked around the pier on my back again with the fins.  Jeepers, it's cold.  I've just lost my edge with the cold, it seems.  There was a surf contest happening today-the Scholastic Surf Series-a high school contest.  The waves were poor, but like fishing, just going surfing and getting in the water is enough.
The high schoolers seemed like a great bunch, and the parents were happy and involved.
There was a chop to the water and 2 foot waves blowing in northeasterly-an unusual direction for around here.  A slight northward current that moved me a bit as I kicked.  I was wrapping my arms around my chest with my fists in my armpits the whole time to try to keep warm-well, not warm-but less freezing.
Took me 16 1/2 minutes to kick out to the half-way point off the end of the pier.  Like yesterday, at four minutes into my swim, I started to get used to the temp a bit.  The first four minutes must be the hard four mentally. 
I backstroked in the second half of the swim to try to get my neck to loosen up.  The swim was about 28 1/2 minutes.  Glad I went.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment