Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Surfrider Way north to South Jetty & Back


















So late afternoon came and I wanted to swim.  I got to thinking about the water currents for that upcoming Tiki Swim and I wanted to swim northward.  I swam out in some warm water not too far--about 100-150 yards. I stopped briefly to look for currents; it was a mild current running southward.  This remained the same throughout the swim.  So off I went north, and I do not care for the sight of those iconic pink cottages: Robert's Cottages.  Why?  Because I always seem to swim stationary in that spot and have to look at them far too long. 
When I got past the cottages, the ocean took me out another hundred yards as a surprise--gently.  I then remembered that with the varying currents in that area, I usually do end up far out without realizing it.  I swam along, today enjoying a minimally choppy ocean surface.  When I got to the first rock jetty, I was past it and far out, so I had to swim in a ways.  I was at 33 minutes.  I stopped and checked for currents--still mild and moving south. 
The water was dirty today. Visibility 3 feet and lots of silty dirt dispersed throughout.  Who knows why.  On the way back I did a lot of thinking about timing the breathing and strokes with the movements of the surface water.  It seems that it's worth holding your breath for another stroke or two until the time feels right to breathe.  So, to wrap up, I finished in 1 hour and 7 minutes and had a nice swim. 



"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment