Tuesday, January 22, 2013

January 6, 2013 Swim. Fins & persistence pay off.






Interesting day at the beach.  I really shouldn't say "day," because I'd be bored to death if I had to stay at the beach all day.  I am in and out of there in 1 hour, or maybe 2 hours on a longer day.  I can't just sit there on the beach doing nothing.
January 6th threw the roughest water at me that I have been in for a while.  The surf zone was running southward very strongly.  Still dirtyish water.  Very cold.  I tried to swim out twice on the north side but couldn't get out before the current carried me back toward the pier.  On my second try I started farther north to allow myself a bit more time.  It didn't help at all.  My first attempt ended at 13 minutes.  My second attempt ended at 26 minutes.  It was a wave smash-fest about 75 yards from the sand.  I tried hard, very cold, but I wasn't close to getting through the surf.  What to do?
I got my beloved Churchill fins out of my trunk and went for a third attempt.  31 minutes later I washed up on the south side of the pier, carried farther south than usual, for a total swim of 57 minutes.
My swim was cold, rough, and exhilarating.  Even with fins it was still very hard to get out past the surf; in fact, the entire swim was like swimming in the surf zone.  Four foot waves washing over me throughout the kick outward.  I was lying on my back with my arms hugging myself, kicking away, trying to keep my body warmth in.  There were some sloppy swells 7-8 feet or so out there.  I even had to kick hard on the way in!  It was just a very strong sea with a lot of anger to vent.  A neat swim day for me.


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome, It looked really stormy that day. I live in oceanside so I bodyboard the pier and jetty in oceanside all the time. I have tried a few fins early on about 12 years ago and have been using Churchill fins the rest of the time. That was a good review of these swim fins. For anyone that has not tried them should check them out. A really good review site for Makapuu and Slasher fins is this website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I love my Churchill Slasher fins. I haven't used the Makapuu ones for fifteen years or more. Slashers are comfortable and have good propulsion for nasty water. Glad to hear you're getting in the water all the time. I'm temporarily out for back reasons and I am craving salt water. Enjoy some waves for me!

    ReplyDelete