Thursday, February 28, 2013

Oceanside Rough Water Swim



This afternoon at about 1:00 PM I had a 33 minute swim around the Pier. The day was beautiful. Temp outside 80 degrees.  Surfline.com has the water temp at 56-58 degrees. It was a little colder than that. I'd guess 54. My face hurt for ten minutes getting into the ocean and into the swim.  My legs were actually really quite cold after ten minutes.  After that I was good.  The ocean visibility was nothing.  The water was a nice greenish-blue color but not clear.  There was a decent chop of 1 foot to 2 feet in the water past the end of the pier.  No currents to deal with.  My goggles are done, I guess: the AquaSphere Kaiman. They are too foggy and cloudy.  Any recommendations?
I felt good coming in; my air was there and no pain issues.  There was a lineup of surfers at the south side riding some nice 3 foot waves.  The waves were smashing in pretty hard.  Once again a wave smashed me and I lost a swim cap.
I found several nice shells after getting out.  Gave some to a couple of little girls. I gotta' watch that. I probably gave their Mom a heart attack.  Too bad...
Getting into my car & changing afterward I met the new, young meter enforcement guy for the parking.  He's somewhat lucky; one of the senior citizen meter readers just retired.  I asked him if it was as bad as the TV show "Philadelphia Parking Wars," and he said, "That's my life every day."  I was surprised that it would be rough at the beach but he said same, same.  Still, not a bad place to work, eh?
Good swim day.


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment