Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sept 24 Swam the Pier Today

     I went to the Pier early afternoon to look and maybe swim.  Thankfully, I was given a break from severe pain today and got into an incredibly beautiful ocean on an amazing day.  Water temp was warm, approx 70, I'd say.  Air temp was 76.  Blue sky, no crowds, same old boring perfection.  What a day!
     The water was flat, no current, visibility maybe 5 feet.  Great swimming conditions but just very small waves for the surfers.  Actually, the one-foot waves were good for beginning surfers, bad surfers (like me), the aged surfers, and single-digit surfers (aged 0-9).
     It took me 33 minutes to get around the pier.  Since it has been 3 weeks since my skin has felt salt, my stroke was rough.  I didn't want to take pictures, so I didn't.  And that's all I have to say about that.
     On my walk to and from the beach parking lot to the water, I saw: one young woman apparently soliciting money from a family.  I saw two apparently homeless men walking around the pier area with their belongings trailing behind, one very suspicious van where I would bet money that one could purchase some variety of controlled substances, at least one dozen punky, snot-nosed teenagers with skateboards annoying humanity merely by their tattooed, smoky existence.
     Oh, I forgot.  A special appearance was made by the police helicopter that went round and round in circles at about 250 feet, with a voice repeatedly saying things like "Come out of the covered area," come out in the open from the area below." I watched for ten minutes but it kept going. As I drove away close to that area a homeless guy came running in a low crouch up one block and across a street.  My hunch is that this green, bearded, frayed runner was the person sought by the helo above.  "Why?" you ask.  Because when is the last time you saw a homeless guy RUN?  Case solved; suspect eluded capture.  Life went on in Oceanside.


"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment