Friday, December 13, 2013

December Swim after 2 1/2 months off

    
It has been so long since I swam that I have to remember how to do a blog entry.  September 26th was my last swim, I think.  I know that writing about chronic pain is repetitive and pathetic, but maybe some readers are also in a chronic pain situation and can relate.
I got 3 more steroid/anesthetic epidural injections in October--one per week.  I cancelled a fourth because I was too miserable. It doesn't make sense, I know; neither do I.  For some reason I felt OK this morning and had energy and minimal back pain.  Crazy. 
I drove down there and felt some anxiety about getting in cold water, since it has been a while.  The beach was beautiful, with a very low tide, at least six feet of visibility, and one to two foot waves.  No wind, no current, a flat surface, and an overall beautiful day.  The water temp was quoted at 59.  I wore a short-sleeved rash guard tee shirt and jammers shorts with compression underwear under them. I spoiled myself with my neoprene cap which was great.  I actually only swam ten minutes.  Not ready for the cold.  I think it might have been colder than 59.  Maybe not.  Oh, I also wore my elastic low back support.  My back held up fine, I only swallowed one mouthful of water because I forgot how to breathe, and I feel good now.  Maybe I have turned a corner.  And that's my report from fabulous Oceanside, California for today.

"The first time you quit is the last time you try."

No comments:

Post a Comment